Sunday, February 19, 2006

A Valentine's Day song

How should I your true love know
From another one?
By his cockle hat and staff,
And his sandal shoon.

He is dead and gone, lady,
He is dead and gone;
At his head a grass-green turf,
At his heels a stone.

(oho)

White his shroud as the mountain snow
Larded with sweet flowers;
Which bewept to the ground did not go
With true-love showers.

Tomorrow is Saint Valentine's day.
All in the morning betime,
And I a maid at your window,
To be your Valentine.
Then up he rose, and donned his clothes,
And dupped the chamber door,
Let in the maid, that out a maid
Never departed more.

By Gis and by Saint Charity
Alack, and fie for shame!
Young men will do't, if they come to't;
By Cock they are to blame.

Quoth she, 'Before you tumbled me,
You promised me to wed.'"
He answers, 'So would I ha' done, by yonder sun,
And thou hadst not come to my bed.'


~Shakespeare

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home