Thursday, February 05, 2009

Sometimes

Sometimes the roads we tread
Take us to places we didn't think of.
Sometimes the glory of the sunrise
Is fleeting, and in blinking, we miss it.

I wandered to the mountains.
I wandered to the seas.
I saw you in all things, and in all things,
I learned that you can have all other things.

I sit here alone, day after day,
Night after night on my porch in the country.
The country where it is always warm
They hay is always new
The cows are in the distance.
It rains, and I glory in the smell after the rain.

I am far away.

I saw myelf as an old woman, regretting.
She looked at me and said,
"I never married. I never held little ones.
I worked and strived. I wrote many things.
I brought joy into people's lives,
But then they all had their own ways to go.
Permanence," she told me, "Permanence is
a bigger lie than anything else. In all my years
Of all my studies, all I can say is that everything
Everything is always changing.
Civilizations or the weather. Friendships and family.
They are all, always changing."
Then she looked very sad, this ancient version of myself.
She told me that she died with her songs still in her.
Her thoughts and ideas had gone unshared.
She had lived long and loved many,
But now she sits.
Sits.
Sits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home