Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Stranger

From the moment I said I was fine,
Somehow you knew I was lying.
One friend could be told.
Now if they ask you where I've been, tell them you don't know.

I've been to the stranger.

Have you ever been afraid?
Then waited for years to know the price that you paid.
I can tell you what relief is;
I can tell you what it is to be torn to pieces.

I've been to the stranger.
You don't ask his name.
He is your deliverance.
He is your shame.

His hands are gentile
His hands are clean
Wrapped around his blessed
Goddamned machine

I've been to the stranger.

So you hold your breath and you choose
From the moment they give you the news
Then you erase as fast as you can
The place and the face of the medicine man

I call him the stranger. I've been to the stranger.
Now if they ask you where I've been
Tell them you don't know.


-Kat Eggleston

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home