Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Paper Boats

I would stand by the river
In the early afternoons
Making boats out of paper
Filled with summer blooms.
I would chase them for hours
In the shadow and the sun
Paper boats filled with flowers
When I was very young.
Alone by the water,
I'd fill them full of dreams
To sail with the blossoms
At the mercy of the streams
How long they would travel...
How far, how fast?
Didn't seem to matter,
They were never meant to last
How can I tell you?
It's still true.
At the falling through of all my dreams and hopes
I remember the river
And paper boats.
I could lie at your side
Watching you sleep
In a room soft with dreaming,
Heavy with heat.
Or hold you for hours
While you drift away
To where no amount of wishing can make you stay.
How can I tell you?
It's still true.
I can love what we once were and let you go
From years of practice
Making paper boats.

-Kat Eggleston



RIP Adam Snyder
June 16, 1983- July 8, 2013

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home