Monday, February 14, 2005

Encore est vive la souris (English)

News has spread about in France
In many a place that I was dead,
Which hardly displeased a few
Who bear me hatred quite unjust,
Others were distressed
Who love me by loyal faith,
As do my friends all good and true:
So I here let all folk know
That this mouse is still alive.

I've suffered no harm nor grief,
Thank God, friends I'm safe and sound,
And spend my time in the hope
That Peace, who has slept a little long,
Will soon awake and by Accord
Will bring better cheer to all;
And so by God may they be damned
Who are saddened now to see
That this mouse is still alive.

Youth o'er me stills reigns
But Old Age is trying hard
To bring me to its realm;
For the moment its arts will fail:
I' m still far enough from its port.
I want to keep my heirs from tears;
Praised be God in paradise,
Who' s given me strength and vigor,
That this mouse is still alive.

Let none for me be decked in black:
A cheaper cloth is sold in gray;
So let each one know it's very true
That this mouse is still alive.


~Charles d'Orléans

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home