Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Celia, Rosalind and Touchstone

CELIA:

Were you made the messenger?


TOUCHSTONE:

No, by mine honour; but I was bid to come for you.


ROSALIND:

Where learned you that oath, fool?


TOUCHSTONE:

Of a certain knight that swore by his honour they were

good pancakes, and swore by his honour the mustard was naught:

now, I'll stand to it, the pancakes were naught and the

mustard was good: and yet was not the knight forsworn.


CELIA:

How prove you that, in the great heap of your knowledge?


ROSALIND:

Ay, marry; now unmuzzle your wisdom.


TOUCHSTONE:

Stand you both forth now: stroke your chins, and swear

by your beards that I am a knave.


CELIA:

By our beards, if we had them, thou art.


TOUCHSTONE:

By my knavery, if I had it, then I were: but if you swear by that

that is not, you are not forsworn: no more was this knight,

swearing by his honour, for he never had any; or if he had, he

had sworn it away before ever he saw those pancackes or that

mustard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home